1) Did you enjoy the book? Why or why not?
2) How realistic were the characters in the book? How did you feel about them?
3) What is your initial impression of Kara Cantrell? How does the author create that impression?
4) What do you think about Kara’s decision to hide from the world and ignore her son’s abilities? Does her decision make things worse for Alex?
5) How do you feel about Kara’s reactions to Damien’s information and her adamant refusal to get involved?
6) What is your initial impression of Damien Morgan? How does the author create that impression?
7) How does your initial impression of Damien change as the story progresses, and why?
8) What is Alex’s role in the story?
9) Kara and Damien both build protective barriers around themselves as a result of life experiences. Do you think such barriers are important? Are they constructive or destructive, and why?
10) How do you think the small-town setting affects the story, and why?
11) What underlying themes do you see in the story?
12) Would you recommend this book? Why or why not?