1) Did you enjoy the book? Why or why not?
2) What is your initial impression of Nessa dan Ranul? How does the author create that impression?
2) What do you think shaped Nessa more—the hardship of being a Shielder, her injury and seizures, or being an outcast?
3) What is your initial impression of Chase McKnight? How does the author create that impression?
4) It was difficult for Chase to see past his need for revenge. Which do you think is stronger—the conditioning and values of a person’s youth, or the events that happen through life, and why?
5) Do you think that universal human themes are important in a story? What were some of the major themes in Shielder? How did those themes impact the story?
6) Which aspects of the story did you like best—the world, the action/adventure, or the characters’ emotions? Other aspects you liked?
7) Did you feel like you were experiencing the time and place in which the book was set? What types of details did the author include to give you this feeling?
8) How important was the setting to the action in the book? Was the setting a character?
9) Who was your favorite secondary character, and why?
10) What role did the children in Shielder play?
11) Would you recommend this book? Why or why not?